Saturday 6 August 2011

Run, Forrest, Run!

They do say that it has to get worse before it gets better, and believe me, it couldn't have got much worse than it did the evening after I posted the previous chapter! After the night before, I decided that I needed a 'night off' from walking the Hounds from Hell and so Hubby took them both out on his own. I wasn't particularly up for being present while Millie was let off again.....My name is John McKenna and I am a big chicken!

The Kids enjoy the sunshine

Twenty minutes after they leave I hear an awful kerfuffle at the front door, much banging and scratching was taking place. I went to the front door and through the glass panes I can see no one, but still the noise carries on. I open the door. 

Millie......JUST Millie! On her own. No Husband. No Max. No Lead.

She gallops past me and shoots down to the bedroom and hides under the bed. She looks terrible. Scared. Petrified. She has a tiny scuff mark with fur missing on one of her back legs. And let's not forget that she is ALONE! How on earth she managed to cross the busy main road at the end of our street without being run over is beyond me, but she did. Thinking the worst just makes me well up, knowing that we could very well have lost her.

Mischief un-managed!

The incredible thing about all this is that she came HOME....she knows exactly where she lives and she came straight back...for that I am forever thankful!!! I dread to think what she would have done or where she would have gone if the garden gate had been closed....

Where's Millie, Dad?

I gathered her up and gave her the biggest cuddle, talked gently to her and told her everything was ok, that she was alright, that she was home now. Then I realised that Hubby would still be out there looking for her with Maximillian. Rather than leave her in the house I decided to harness her up on the spare lead and take her back out to find the others. She wasn't particularly pleased to be back outside but I figured that 'when you fall off your bike, you get back on' sort of thing. 

You're talking about me again.....aren't you???

We met Hubby and Max walking down our road and Millie was very pleased to see him, even if he gave her the 'I am soooo pissed off with you' look. We took the 'Kids' home, they got lots of cuddles that night and Millie has not been off the lead since. If I have my way (which is rare!!!!) she won't be off it any time soon either!!!!!!!! So........progress??? WHAT f-ing progress??? I've got a feeling that Millie's training is going to be like painting the Forth Bridge, you'll never get to the end....

Spoilt. Rotten.

And what of His Madness Maximillian Sydney Bruiser McEllis I hear you ask?!?! Well, our little fella is all fine and dandy. Actually, he would have made a very good Dandy, what with his Little Lord Fauntleroy tail and his charming yet slightly camp demeanour. He is still, and I hope always will be, ever so slightly bonkers, always up for play time and just the most lovely little dog....at least we can thank Aunty Kay for getting it right one dog out of two!

My perfect, if ever so slightly dysfunctional Family!

As I type this, my Husband is making 'Old Dowerhouse Chutney'.......our home is filled with the scent of apples, plums, onions, tomatoes, ginger, chilli, sultanas all being boiled up in malt vinegar - strangely evocative and ever so slightly pungent (Although, it's better than sniffing a damp dog smothered in fox shit and as you know, we've been there!). 
The results, served with cold cuts around Christmas time should be flipping delicious......I believe Courgette Pickle is next on the list. I wonder if I can get him to make Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream too????????

Old Dowerhouse Chutney - serve with cold cuts (As Delia would say!)

This chapter's music is from the mighty Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds........O Children indeed. This track makes me cry, it's simple yet epic and loaded with emotion.


I've just realised that in 10 days time (August 16th) Millie will have been with us exactly one year....how time flies when you're having 'fun'.!.!.!.! In fact, it would appear to be all about Millie at the moment.......methinks Max needs some 'big upping' next....!


Little Lord Fauntleroy!!!

No comments: