Monday 29 August 2011

We Shouldn't Be Here....!

We weren't supposed to be here this Bank Holiday, we were supposed to be in the West Country, we were supposed to be visiting our friends Bunty and Lord Shaldon, we weren't supposed to be in (wet, rainy!) London. However, the Gods and Goddesses conspired against us and for one reason and another, we could not and did not go.....


Tis raining outside....


It is also the first August Bank Holiday in, I think, something like FIVE years (basically, since Jemima was born!!!) that we have not visited our God Children in Cornwall and to make us feel really guilty, our beautiful God Daughter Jemima, did some baking and shared the excellent results with us via the medium of a picture text. I bet it was even more delicious than it looks - Well Done Jemima! Uncle Splodge (for that is I!!!) wishes he could have tasted it (he also misses you a great deal, as does Uncle Evil and we hope to see you and Ferdi soon - BIG cuddles are in order!).

Jemima Jane laying on the guilt!

Me and He decided that, as we were now going to be at home for the Bank Holiday, we'd have a quiet one, a relaxing one, an unplanned one.........some plans are doomed to fail! It has ended up being a relatively busy weekend, all be it a rather lovely one too. We've had excellent quality time with the pups, taking them for long walks, breakfast in the local cafe, lots of play time, visiting garden centres (we're off again in a minute!), visitors and as usual, way too may photographs (yes, yes, I am still addicted!!!).

Poser McEllis!


This morning we decided to take the pups on a walk through Brockley to the Cemetery, which is HUGE and enjoy a late Summer/early Autumn walk through the trees, long grass and tombstones - it was surprisingly lovely. Personally, I've always found cemeteries to be places of relaxation, contemplation, generally very peaceful places to escape the stresses and pressures of everyday life. I like cemeteries......and let's not forget the amount of bird/animal life you can spot if you're patient enough.

My (bonkers!) Family

We've been meaning to explore Brockley Cemetery more ever since we visited a few months ago. It is enormous, a place you can enter, get lost in, a child's dream for excellent hide-and-seek games. It's a marvellous place. In comparison to 'our cemetery' it feels as though Brockley has been super-sized, everything about it is bigger - the gravestones are massive, ornate and more art than memorial. We will be returning in the very near future to further explore this fantastic space.

Fear not, they are not standing on a gravestone!

From the cemetery, we took a detour up and on to a huge hill (I think it's Hilly Fields) for a wander. The views are lovely - I always enjoy hills in London, you can see so many landmarks. I often forget we're in London with us living in relative verdant suburbia and seeing The Eye or The Shard for example, brings you back to reality and reminds you just where you are....

Taking a break on Hilly Fields

After Hilly Fields it was back down the hill to Brockley, not one of the prettier areas of London, but the surrounding area is very nice, leafy and there's lots of green space. We sauntered past the very cemetery we had just been wandering around, past parents with their children eagerly picking the ripe blackberries. As you leave Brockley, on the Crofton Park border, there is a gorgeous building called the Rivoli Ballroom. Inside it is a wonderland of red velvet gold-framed walls, Austrian crystal chandeliers and over-sized Chinese lanterns. It is the only intact 1950s ballroom in London - and a well kept secret (until now!). 

Not much from the outside!

Once in Crofton Park it is literally a 10 minute walk and we're home. The area is choc-full of history and you could truly spend all day just wandering around discovering secrets, hidden treasures and the London you only hear/read about in books.....I had better stop before my other half thinks I like London...(I almost do, just don't tell him!).

Max needs a breather....

As mentioned above, we received visitors. Not just any visitors.....Essex Girls!!!!! Sharon and Jo (and their vagazzles) arrived yesterday afternoon for an impromptu cuppa and a catch up chat, after having moved to Essex many months ago. As is his way, Maximillian spent the first 10 minutes of their visit barking at them (with tail in full wag!), followed by the rest of the visit wanting to do nothing but play with his ball. Millie on the other hand really took to Jo and was completely contented and happy just to sit on her knee and be stroked!

Lovely Laydeez!

I am not a religious person by any means, I have no faith unless you count the album by George Michael of the same name. I am devoid of christianity, judaism, buddhism, etc, etc. I am barren to the world of the faithful believers. But, my gorgeous Grandma did have a faith and she is almost always in my head, still guiding me and my decisions. Indeed, whenever I go somewhere and there's a church/cathedral I always, ALWAYS light a candle for her, in her memory, to let her know I have not forgotten her and will not forget her (she would have LOVED Max and Millie!!!!!!). 


My fantastic Grandma!


I say this because yesterday was my wonderful Mother in Law's birthday and she would have been 74 - we raised a glass or two in her memory. It's only been 7 months since she died but the gaping hole is still there and I doubt it will ever change, she was such a force of nature. As silly and almost pointless as this might sound, all I wanted to do was rush off to a church and light a candle, just so that she knew I hadn't forgotten her and never will.

Happy Birthday Mum xxx

The music for this chapter has no special relevance to anything, nothing at all, no one. It has been chosen because, for want of a better reason (of which there is not), I absolutely love it. It makes me bop, shake my booty, want to sing into a hairbrush while standing in front of a mirror.....it uplifts me and there can be no better reason than that!

Enjoy......sing it Miss Goldfrapp!

1 comment:

jillyb said...

I love the Rivoli Ballroom - we sang as a choir there once. No wonder it's always featuring in films and ads! Must explore theBrockley Cemetery, sounds lovely. Jillxx