Sunday 13 February 2011

Return to Ashtree Cottage

How can time seem to go so fast when you don't, in reality, do very much?! That's how it has felt this week. I've spent my week days longing for the weekend and when it comes it appears to go again in a flash! This weekend was spent in Cheshire, at "Nana Joyce's House". We went up on Friday evening straight after work, the journey being the usual motorway hell! It was very odd arriving at the house with no lights on and no bonkers Mother in Law greeting you with a huge smile, a big cuddle and a small whisky and lemonade. 

Upon arrival at Nana's - Max is knackered after the journey

Joyce is all over the house but without her there it felt to me like a monument to her, frozen in time, the spark that was Joyce has gone from the home but the memories created there, with her, will always be. I have to say that on more than one occasion I expected her to come bounding out of the greenhouse or find her baking something in the kitchen, I can't quite comprehend that she's gone. The weekend dredged up feelings for my own Grandma, her death and not being able to visit her old house and just how much I miss her. I know everyone has to go sometime, but just because they're gone doesn't mean you have to let them go, does it? 

Millie keeping her eye on me!

On Saturday morning we took the dogs for a long walk over The Coombs and along the canal. They love it down there and Max really enjoys having a good run around with a stick, terrorising Millie who has her own agenda and just wants to walk, walk, walk. We met a dog called Hector, a gorgeous black and tan King Charles Spaniel who really liked Millie, although she wasn't particularly taken with him. Max didn't really care, just wanting to catch sticks and run around like a loony, as is his way!

Tilstone Lock Cottage - Joyce was born here

The rest of the weekend was filled with my Hubby doing 'housey' things and pottering in the garden, saving plants, weeding, tidying and giving the place a general dose of TLC. I have to admit, I spent most of the weekend walking around feeling a bit lost if I'm honest. Joyce was even more effervescently jovial than her son (if that's possible!) and it didn't feel right, her not being there and I didn't feel comfortable touching her stuff in the house. The house felt like someone had uncorked the bubbly and it had gone flat. Obviously, I'm not Joyce's son, "just an in-law", having only been around 8 years or so, however we got on well, really, really well and we had a right laugh most of the time and I truly loved and adored her, I always will. I felt sad at her funeral and shed a few tears but I think I felt grief this weekend, real tummy churning "I Miss You" grief.

The view over The Coombs with Beeston Castle on the horizon

We're hopefully going to return to Cheshire in a few weeks when we return from our holiday, the garden will definitely be in need of some more attention and it will be nice to see the place again. In the meantime, we have said holiday to plan for, and our own garden is in need of some TLC. The hens are doing well and on full egg production now which is great!


It's a Fair Cop!!!!!

On the way home today, I was 'clocked' speeding by the Staffordshire Police and subsequently pulled over on the hard shoulder of the M6 Toll. I was bundled into the back of the Police car, questioned, given 3 points on my licence and a £60 fine. The pain was only lessened by the fact that the Policeman was rather lovely with his goatee and leather trousers. I realise that I got off very lightly and could very easily have been banned so I am thankful for that! And no, I am not telling you how fast I was going, but it was fast and for the rest of the journey I got to see what it was like to drive in the nearside lane!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're blogs need to come with a Kleenex alert.

Lovely piece!

Hugs to you both!